Thursday, January 24, 2008

Gilman/Enoch-The rest of their lives


Gilman became a free man after his trial ended in a not guilty verdict. The town that he was tried in, Kenton, Ohio, would become his home until his death in 1915 at the age of 71 plus 11 months and 24 days. With the exception of the old photo showing Gilman, surviving brother Paul, and the sisters, taken in Payne, Ohio(Paulding County) in about 1885....what I know about Gilman after his return to "normal" life, can be found in the blog entries dated 9/20/07 "Mary Ann's Siblings" and 10/18/07 "Gilman's Civil War Documents"(of course those were before the Murder In Waldo).


I have Gilman's and his second wife's death records as well...and have contacts with several descendants of Gilman's oldest son Aca Landon Houseworth....those being John Mabrey in Michigan and Karen Houseworth Brown, who lives in Mississippi.....I "met" Karen while researching Houseworth Genealogy, through her sister Cindy Houseworth Dyess, from Florida. Cindy sadly passed away in February 2004 at the age of 51, before I could pass on all the information I would gather...if you believe like I do, I'm sure Cindy and those other Houseworths passed on are having a good laugh at my work...."What's he working so hard for? They will all find out all they need to know in due time".

I do know that of the children of Gilman and Mary, William passed away before June of 1898 and John before 1915...although not sure the exact dates. Gilman is buried in the Grove Cemetery in Kenton....I visited this site a few years back after umpiring a high school baseball game in Kenton...and found his grave....I have a photo I took....somewhere!

By all accounts Gilman lived out his life without incident, that Sarah Elizabeth Shelton Houseworth was a perfect fit for this man who seemed troubled before he married her in 1882(who wouldn't be, left a widower, with 6 kids?)..... Sarah and Gilman had one daughter named Pearl Houseworth...I believe she died in infancy, as I have found no other items pertaining to her or her life......I will continue to look and research for more on Gilman and his times, both before and after the trial at Kenton in 1881.


If any of you who read this, have any other information on Gilman please let me know....I have much information on the younger decedents of Gilman and my other ancestors....and will be getting to us "younger" folks down the road in the next weeks, months, and hopefully years.


While Gilman slipped into a "normal" life, not so for his soon-to-be former brother-in-law...Enoch Young had lost his freedom and will soon lose his wife, but thanks to the work of his daughters, an Ohio Governor and future President of the United States, and many others....the story of Enoch's fight for freedom, had just begun....

That story coming up next........
------------------------------------------------------
{photo} The old Hardin County Courthouse in Kenton....where Gilman was freed from after his trial....this building stood for 80 years and was replaced in 1914.




3 comments:

FHB said...

You're doin' a great job man. And yea, when the time comes, I've got a few things to discuss with a few old relatives in the next realm. There better friggin' be one, and they'd better have some good answers.

Buck said...

A great story, Pat. Thanks for giving it to us.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.